Sunday, March 24, 2013

All of us deserve some pampering

In my ENG112 class last semester I read several of Kate Chopin's writings. The short story "A Pair of Silk Stockings" is about a mother who found some money and was thinking of all of the ways she could spend this money on her children.  The day turned into a mom day which after taking care of the family and getting them off to school she set out shopping. Mrs. Sommers ended up pampering herself with the purchase of some silk stockings, a pair of gloves, lunch at a restaurant that she had never been in, and magazines that were a luxuary at the time. When the day of pampering ended she longed for the cable car to never stop and to go on forever. I for one have felt this way especially when the routine of everyday life seems to be to much. I enjoy the pampering days but always looked forward to seeing my family again at the end of the day.

1 comment:

  1. Toni,

    I find Kate Chopin's life rather fascinating. She was very daring and forthcoming about herself and her works. Perhaps you might find my blog information intertaining as well. I have included some websites that you may want to take a look at. There is a wealth of information out there about her.

    Christina Shockey

    ReplyDelete